Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is included in my entry fee?
A. Check it out...
- The thrill of riding on beautiful country roads, up and down gnarly hills with lots of other colorfully clad cyclists
- A fully staffed series of rest stops and SAG support along the entire route
- A goodie bag with some really cool gifts
- A swingin’ t-shirt with our cool Mendocino Monster graphic
- Our wonderful end-of-ride barbecue
Q. How far and how high?
A. Pretty far and pretty high...
- Scary Monster: 104.58 miles with approximately 8800 ft of climbing
- Hairy Monster: 62.0 miles with 8150 ft of climbing
- Merry Monster: 28.0 miles with approximately 750 ft of climbing
Q. Is there a limit on registration?
- We have set a limit of 500 riders total for all rides this year.
Q. Will day of event registration be allowed?
- We will allow riders to sign up on the day of the event (assuming we’re not sold out), but you will not be guaranteed a t-shirt, and we could run short of goody bags, etc. A $10 extra charge will be added to onsite registration either the day of the event or the day before the event.
Q. Can I camp overnight or stay in may car overnight at Mendocino College?
A. No. Mendocino College has a gate they close at night. They will roust you if you are trying to stay overnight on their property. You can legally camp at Lake Mendocino which is only a few miles away.
Q. What is the event schedule?
A. Here you go...
- Saturday, June 9, 2018 – Registration the day before
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, 1140 Airport Park Boulevard, Ukiah, CA 95482
- ➡ 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM – packet pickup and onsite registration for Mendocino Monster rides
Sunday, June 10, 2018 – Mendocino Monster Event Day
Mendocino College, 1000 Hensley Creek Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482
- ➡ 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM – packet pickup and onsite registration for Scary Monster
- ➡ 6:00 AM to 8:00 AM – packet pickup and onsite registration for Hairy Monster
- ➡ 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM – packet pickup and onsite registration for Merry Monster
- ➡ 7:00 AM – Scary Monster riders depart by now
- ➡ 8:00 AM – Hairy Monster riders depart by now
- ➡ 8:00 AM - 9:00 AM – Merry Monster riders depart
- ➡ Noon - 6:00 PM – barbecue at Mendocino College Grove
If you check in Saturday night, you can leave earlier than 6:00 AM if you wish, but the rest stops may not be open and the signs may not be in place if you leave too early. Also, the gate at Mendocino College may not be open much before 6:00 AM. Here are the cue sheets for the ride that show the opening and closing times for the rest stops for 2018:
Q. Is the event timed?
- This is a fun ride, not a race
Q. Can I get a refund?
- All registrations are final and non-refundable.
Q. Who is this ride for?
A. It is for EVERYBODY
- For professional cyclists, this is an opportunity to stretch your legs in a relaxed environment. This is a challenging ride that will test your skills in a friendly way, with support and companionship along the entire route.
- For recreational cyclists, this is your chance to ride along a route that is amazingly beautiful and definitely challenging. Along the way, you will find great food, great support and friendly faces.
Q. Is there a minimum or maximum age limit?
- But all participants must be aware of their individual limitations. It is expected that all riders will have trained properly for the distances and climbs involved for the route they have chosen.
Q. How can I become a volunteer?
A. Click on the Contact page on this website
Q. Will you pick up our clothing at rest stops and bring it back to the finish?
- We will allow riders to put their clothing in bags with their rider number at each rest stop, and then we will shuttle the clothing back to Mendocino College for the finish.
Q. What are the roads like – what tires should I use?
A. Although we have the advantage of lightly travelled rural roads, we also have the disadvantage of poorly maintained rural roads. The road surface varies from smooth asphalt in some places to crumbly chuck-holed asphalt in others. The road is paved throughout the course and never degenerates to dirt or gravel (oh, except for one small section on Orr Springs currently), but it does get fairly rough at times. If you have the ability to choose your ride, you'd benefit from a frame and tires that can handle some rattling. We are recommending gravel bikes for this ride.
Q. What are the details on the barbecue?
A. The barbecue will be held at Mendocino College. It will be outdoors in ‘The Grove’ which is in a wooded area just to the east of the main parking lot. We are planning to start serving around 1:00 PM and stop serving around 6:00 PM.
Q. Will you serve beer or wine?
A. We are planning to have beer available at the barbecue at the end of the ride.
Q. Do all the routes start and finish at the same location?
- All routes start and finish at Mendocino College near Ukiah, CA
Q. Where the heck is Ukiah?
A. Ukiah is in Mendocino County in northern California. We are just 2 hours from San Francisco, 2.5 hours from Sacramento and 7 hours from Los Angeles. Ukiah is closer than you think.
Q. STILL have questions?
A. Here you go:
- Send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. How do I get there?
A. Mendocino College
1000 Hensley Creek Rd.
Ukiah, CA 95482
Here is a map: